I'm very excited to announce that I completed installation of the last piece of hardwood flooring last night. The project has taken almost a year, mainly due to my just not getting to it.
The last two rows took about as long as any 10 other rows to install. It's always so futzy having to drill manually and nail with a hammer, instead of using the flooring nailer. The last piece of the penultimate row was particularly frustrating: The nails were bending, and I simply couldn't get the right angle at it to drive them home. I ended up having to split the piece with a hammer and chisel and do it again. Then on the final row my drill bit broke, and I almost set the house on fire after taking off my sweatshirt and accidentally dropped the sleeve on the halogen lamp I was using. I caught it after it started smoking.
While the flooring isn't perfect, I'm quite pleased. There are some gaps here and there, although they'll mostly close up during the warmer months.
Now on to a new adventure: painting and replacing the ugly trim I removed!
Post a Comment